2014 Year In Review

Photo credit: dordirk on Flickr
2014 has been a really incredible year for me.

In the first week of February, I officially signed with my agent Louise Fury and became part of The Bent Agency family.  It’s a decision that, nearly a year later, I honestly could not be happier with. That same month, I also completely changed my diet, which involved a lot of adjusting, including a world without sugar. While that sounded horrible at the time, the difference it has made to my anxiety levels alone has made it all very worth it, to me.

In March, I unexpectedly nabbed an editorial internship with Entangled Publishing—which was an internship I’d been eying since I first started looking for pub job opportunities in 2013.

May was a pretty huge month.

I finally took the plunge and got the pixie cut I’d been lusting after for several months. I also changed my online avatar for the first time since I’d started my online platform, and switched out the stack of books for my actual face (something that would not have been possible without said adjusted anxiety levels). That same month I was also accepted into a new school, and I started a vlog, and I went to RT14, where I met loads of my lovely writer friends as well as my agent and many other wonderful TBA people. I also gave Beth Revis and Tammara Webber a hug, and met Leigh Bardugo, Sarah Maas, Tamora Pierce, Cora Carmack and many other superstars. I kept a really calm and cool persona (riiiiiight) while completely freaking out on the inside.

In June I started up school again (yes, in the summer) and also went on submission with my now-titled novel Beyond the Red.

In July I finished first drafting a NA novel that I immediately put away and declared no one would look at it ever. Immediately thereafter, I began drafting another novel, which I fell in love with instantly.

In September, I finished first drafting said novel and started a full-time school schedule again (summer classes were not full time), while also interning and writing. I also re-read that NA novel I said I wouldn’t look at again, and decided I loved the characters too much to give up on it.

In October, I accepted an offer from Sky Pony Press to publish my YA Sci-Fi debut, Beyond the Red, in hardcover, Spring 2016. That same month, I was also promoted from intern to Assistant Editor at Entangled, and my family moved out of the state I was born in for the first time.

In November, Writability hit 1,000,000 page views and had its biggest giveaway ever.

Now it’s December, and I’m kind of taking a break, at least, for the moment. I have betas looking at that NA, and once I get their feedback, it’ll be one last round of revisions before it goes to my agent. From there, I have two more MSs that have been drafted and are ready for revisions, and plenty of other work to think about.

But for now? I’m letting my brain relax, binge-watching Game of Thrones, and catching up on my TBR pile (or making a teensie dent, at least). And as I look to 2015, I could not be more grateful for this truly amazing year, nor more excited for all the things to come in the next twelve months.

How did 2014 treat you? 

Twitter-sized bite: 
.@Ava_Jae shares her 2014 year in review. Did you make any big changes in 2014? (Click to tweet)

12 comments:

Briana Morgan said...

Sounds like you had an incredible year! I just wrote a post like this one, too. Happy New Year!

Ava Jae said...

Thanks, Briana! It was definitely a beyond wonderful year. :)


Happy New Year to you too!

Heather said...

I can only say: wow. It sounds like more than anything this year had some very definite progress, I guess you could say—and so I do not blame you for watching Game of Thrones because who wouldn't want to take a break (albeit the kind that brings you as much grief as it does joy) after that? Congrats on the many accomplishments, and I hope you have an awesome next year! :D

Darth Lolita said...

Wowww. You've had such a great year! I don't think I accomplished half as much as you did--I hope my 2015 is half as good as your 2014, but I hope we both have a great year xD.

You're one of my favorite bloggers, Ava, so I can't wait to read more from you in the months to come. Happy New Years!

Lola R said...

Wow you had a busy year, with lots of writing and big changes. I can't wait till you finally publish one of your book as I really want to read one of your books ever since I started following this blog. I hope 2015 is an amazing year for you!

Ava Jae said...

Yes! I definitely made plenty of progress in 2014. And I've been enjoying my break (even despite the not-so-happy GoT moments ha ha). Thanks so much, Heather! I hope your 2015 is amazing as well!

Ava Jae said...

Aw, thank you! This was a pretty huge year for me—my years aren't usually half this interesting which is why I've never really doing a year in review before lol. But I hope 2015 is just as eventful (in a good way) for us both! :)

Ava Jae said...

2014 was definitely a huge year of change for me! And I can't wait to share my books with everyone. Exciting things are on the way the next 18 months or so. :)


Thank you so much, and I hope your 2015 is equally wonderful!

Olivia said...

Sounds like a good year, all in all. Congratulations especially on the book deal, can't wait to read it when it comes out!

Ava Jae said...

I definitely did—thank you! I can't wait to share it with everyone!

Brett Jonas said...

That seems like an absolutely amazing year! Congratulations!

2014.... *scratches head* I don't remember most of 2014. I'll have to think about it. Lol but since I don't remember any overwhelming bad stuff, I'm guessing it was pretty good!

Ava Jae said...

Thank you so much, Brett! And not remembering any bad stuff sounds pretty good to me. :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...