|Photo credit: catherinecronin on Flickr|
For Beyond the Red, specifically, I did have a lot of scattered research to do here and there while I was writing, and while some of it is spoilery and thus I can’t really blog about it, much of it is not. Including:
- Temperatures, wildlife, and flora of deserts around the world.
- Variations of different languages, both written and spoken, fantasy and real.
- Variations of beliefs and rituals of major religions around the world.
- Different kinds of (primarily sparring) weapons.
- How certain nomadic people survive in the deserts.
- How to calculate population growth over the course of several generations.
- Tattoo styles.
- Different styles of dance, especially…
- FIRE DANCING
Granted, most of those aren’t weird except maybe fire dancing, which is more epic than weird, but nevertheless those are some of the things I researched while writing Red. What research have you done for your books?
What fun or strange research have you done for your WIPs? Join the discussion on @Ava_Jae's blog. (Click to tweet)