Mini Book Reviews


I haven’t done a book review in a while for a couple of reasons, but I thought it’d be fun to give a couple of short book recommendations based on what I’ve been reading as of late, rather than writing many separate reviews for every book I read.

So! Based on what I’ve read so far this year, the first book I’d like to recommend to you is The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson. Before I get into what I thought about it, here’s the Goodreads summary:

Photo credit: Goodreads
“Once a century, one person is chosen for greatness. 
Elisa is the chosen one.  
But she is also the younger of two princesses, the one who has never done anything remarkable. She can't see how she ever will.  
Now, on her sixteenth birthday, she has become the secret wife of a handsome and worldly king—a king whose country is in turmoil. A king who needs the chosen one, not a failure of a princess.  
And he's not the only one who seeks her. Savage enemies seething with dark magic are hunting her. A daring, determined revolutionary thinks she could be his people's savior. And he looks at her in a way that no man has ever looked at her before. Soon it is not just her life, but her very heart that is at stake.  
Elisa could be everything to those who need her most. If the prophecy is fulfilled. If she finds the power deep within herself. If she doesn’t die young.  
Most of the chosen do.”

So I don’t usually read high-fantasy, but I gave this one a shot and I’m certainly glad I did. The Girl of Fire and Thorns really surprised me. Elise, the protagonist, defied the gorgeous-model-like-looks that many YA novels feature, and starts off, in fact, as a rather overweight teenager with a remarkably low self-esteem. That in itself caught my interest and following her story and watching her develop as a character was a real treat. I’ll admit that some of the more fantastical elements took a little adjusting, but The Girl of Fire and Thorns surprised me with many-a-plot twist that I definitely didn’t see coming (which is a rare thing, I might add) and actually got me to exclaim out loud while reading…twice.

In my book, that means I really enjoyed it, and thusly I recommend it to you.

The second book is actually a series that I haven’t finished yet, but judging by the first one and a half books, I can already tell it’s a series I’m going to have to finish.

What series, you ask? None other than The Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa. The Iron King is the first of the series and this is the Goodreads summary:

Photo credit: Goodreads
"Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined.  
Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home. 
When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change. 
But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart."

First and foremost, I’d say this is definitely a girl book and although there are a couple of things that irked me along the way, I’ve really been enjoying the series. Once again, it’s a little out of my normal reading genre (and the first faerie book I’ve read since Artemis Fowl) but after seeing it repeatedly mentioned on Goodreads I thought I’d give it a try and now I’m hooked. The faery world Kagawa created is just remarkable, there’s never a dull moment in the plot and the characters are memorable, to say the least.

So that about covers it. Happy reading!

What’s the best book you’ve read this year so far? 

11 comments:

SusanKayeQuinn said...

I had the same feeling about The Iron King, but wanted to read it for the faeries (and more)! :) I've heard so much about Girl of Fire and Thorns, I need to move that up the list. Reading A Million Suns right now (So. Good.)!

Ava Jae said...

Definitely try The Girl of Fire and Thorns, it was a fantastic read. I actually received A Million Suns yesterday and I can't wait to start reading! First I have to finish The Iron Daughter, though. :D

Susan Sipal said...

Thanks for the reviews, Ava.  Both sound good, but the Girl of Fire and Thorns really sparked my interest!

Ava Jae said...

The Girl of Fire and Thorns was one of those books I'd heard about and I expected I would enjoy, but I didn't expect just how much I'd enjoy it. Let me know what you think of it if you decide to pick it up! 

Angela Ackerman said...

Boy, both of these sound good. I like the ending line of that Goodreads summary for The Girl of Fire and Thorns..it finishes with a nice punch. :)

Ava Jae said...

I have to agree--the Goodreads summary for The Girl of Fire and Thorns is pretty great. Certainly piques interest, if you ask me. 

Southpaw said...

Thanks for the reviews. I love both the covers too.

Ava Jae said...

Sure thing! :)

Laura_Pauling said...

All the Iron King books are at my library! I need to read them! They do sound great. And I loved Girl of Fire and Thorns! Loved.

Ava Jae said...

Definitely read The Iron Fey series--they've certainly been an entertaining an interesting read to say the least. And I have to agree, The Girl of Fire and Thorns was excellent. :D

Www Lalalalalalalal said...

COOL

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...