Mini Book Reviews 2: Spaceships and Faeries


As far as reading goes, this month has been pretty excellent. It has also been a month of sequels.

Photo credit: Goodreads
I mentioned I was reading The Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa last month, and as I’ve continued the series, I’ve been pleasantly surprised. The Iron King (the first book) was a good read, The Iron Daughter was interesting, but The Iron Queen simply blew my expectations out of the water and became my favorite of the series thus far. I’m now currently reading The Iron Knight, which has been different from the previous three in many obvious ways (such as a complete change in POV), but has been so far equally good, in my opinion.

As far as the series goes, what I said last month stands: the series is definitely targeted towards the female half of the population, with swoon-worthy characters, a couple love triangles and pretty eyes, and although there were a couple things that bugged me along the way (i.e.: a certain female protagonist who is lost without her man), the series certainly never gets boring, the characters are memorable and the faery world Kagawa created is just fantastic.

Now, the spaceships—or rather, spaceship.

I read and reviewed Across the Universe by Beth Revis in this post way back when, and as I thoroughly enjoyed it, I’d been waiting quite eagerly for the sequel, A Million Suns.

Photo credit: Goodreads
Well. Before I go any further, I’ll share with you the Goodreads summary:

Godspeed was once fueled by lies. Now it is ruled by chaos. It’s been three months. In that time, Amy has learned to hide who she is. Elder is trying to be the leader he’s always wanted to be. But as the ship gets more and more out of control, only one thing is certain: They have to get off the ship.

I’m not even sure where to start, because A Million Suns was simply amazing—so amazing, that I’ve told more than a few people that it’s one of the best sequels I’ve read thus far.

I think what I loved most about it was that it doesn’t read like a sequel—it was full of action, intrigue, slam-your-head-against-the-wall moments and mystery—can’t forget the mystery. The characters make mistakes, the love interest is far from perfect and with every solution, two more problems crops up until the climax.

In short, A Million Suns was a fantastic read and if you’ve read Across the Universe, you have to pick up the sequel. If you haven’t read Across the Universe I suggest that you give it a try.

What’s the best book you’ve read this month? Any recommendations? 

10 comments:

Kassel Fotinos-Hoyer said...

I'm so excited to start A MILLION SUNS - just finished ACROSS THE UNIVERSE and I'm so glad to hear that the sequel doesn't disappoint :)

J. A. Bennett said...

Any chance you want to give me these so I can read them? ;) 

Ava Jae said...

It most certainly does not disappoint! Enjoy A MILLION SUNS! I think you'll like it. :D

Ava Jae said...

But they look so pretty in my bookshelf! 

Crystal Schubert said...

Beth Revis is getting so much love on today's RTW!  I really can't wait to start ACROSS THE UNIVERSE now :)

Ava Jae said...

It's really a fantastic trilogy. I can't wait until next January when SHADES OF EARTH is released! 

Laurapauling said...

The Iron Fey series is at my library, I'll have to check them out. And, I read ATU and I'm hoping my library will get A million suns. Recently, I absolutely loved Under The Never Sky.

Matthew Rowe said...

Sounds good... I need to find more time to read!

Ava Jae said...

Ah! That reminds me, I have to get the sample of Under The Never Sky per your recommendation. Thank you for reminding me. :) 

As for The Iron Fey series, I found that I liked each book better than the last and the characters will definitely stick with me. 

And A Million Suns was absolutely fantastic. 

Ava Jae said...

I've been making a point to read more this year and I am so happy I did. :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...