Vlog: Where to Start Your Book?

Trying to figure out where to start your book can be beyond difficult, so today I'm sharing some tips starting with the inciting incident.


RELATED LINKS:

How do you decide where to start your novel?

Twitter-sized bites: 
Not sure where to start your book? @Ava_Jae vlogs some tips for figuring out the right place to open. (Click to tweet)  
What is the inciting incident & what does it have to do w/ where you start your book? @Ava_Jae vlogs some answers. (Click to tweet

8 comments:

Madeline Osigian said...

Awesome! I was just Googling "best novel hooks" today, trying to make sure my opening isn't boring. So this post is perfect timing for me!

Ken Casey said...

Cool. The magic words are: 'Inciting Incident'.

Natalie said...

This is really helpful! I've been trying to figure out where to start some of my stories so this is a wonderfully timed vlog. :)

Ava Jae said...

Yay! I'm so glad the timing worked out so well for you. :) Happy writing!

Ava Jae said...

Indeed.

Ava Jae said...

Woot! It's always so fun and great when timing works out. Glad you found the vlog helpful! :)

Aimee Hyndman said...

Ugh. Openings are the worst for me. I can plot the rest of a novel and I'm great at endings but on most novels, I'll rewrite openings some two to five times. Once ten times. Its hard to tell how much info you need to get out before the inciting happens and sometimes I shoot myself in the foot by making my inciting incident and ensuing plot too complicated. Woot.
Really good vlog as usual!

Ava Jae said...

Thanks, Aimee! I have the opposite problem—my beginnings are often (though not always) relatively intact from first to final draft, but endings present a massive challenge for me.


I can understand how a complicated inciting incident would make figuring out the opening a little more complicated. CPs and betas can be great for figuring out if an opening is/isn't working, though!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...