Discussion: What Are You Working On?

Photo credit: miel.books on Flickr
So I’ve been having a busy summer so far.

Shortly after finishing school, I dove into #NerdyWIP revisions, which I’ve tweeted about quite a bit. It involved quite a few large changes, and moving scenes around, and deleting stuff, and adding a ton of things here and there, and also more kissing (because who doesn’t love more kissing?).

Once that was bounced back to the amazing agent, it was time for research reading for the #YAFantasyWIP, which I’ve also tweeted about. Research reading took about a week, and now I’m back revising again. With more really large changes to make.

Neither of those WIPs were early drafts, but I’m still finding that the braver I get with these revisions and the more I’m willing to make really big changes, the more I love the way it turns out. I’ve deleted scenes (and kept copies of course) and completely changed character relationships and world building and every change makes each book a little better.

Watching a WIP develop into something better, something even bigger than I first imagined when I began writing is my favorite part. Because creating something from nothing is really freaking awesome, but taking that something and making it an amazing something just never ever gets old.

Once I finally finish this round of revision, I’ll be looking for (very specific) betas, revising again, then sending it off to my agent.

And then I have another first draft all ready for revisions that I’m equally excited about. Plus Beyond the Red stuff and work editing and anything else that comes in this summer.

It feels kind of like juggling, except I focus on each project completely when I catch it, so to speak. But it’s been really fun to always have something to be excited to work on.

So now let’s open up discussion: what have you guys been working on?

Twitter-sized bite: 
What writing stuff have you been working on this summer? Join the discussion on @Ava_Jae's blog. (Click to tweet)

17 comments:

Alice M. said...

witches, witches, witches. i'm in a drafting mood, so maybe i'll get some nice big chunks down on paper soon? :3

Ava Jae said...

Ooooo yes! Witches sound awesome. And drafting moods are excellent. I hope you get lots and lots of big chunks of writing down. :)

Laura Rueckert said...

I'm working on first round revisions of my YA Fantasy with Vietnamese and Maori elements, a murder mystery, an arranged marriage, an angry ghost, magical talismans, a language barrier. And, of course, kissing. ;)

Ava Jae said...

Agggghhhh I need to read this! *waits impatiently* Seriously, Laura. This sounds AMAZING.

Laura Rueckert said...

:-D !!

Julia E. said...

I'm currently working on a very dark, sinister YA Fantasy novel. It's setting is loosely based on Bhutan -- where I went over Christmas with GQ protagonists. I haven't had nearly as much time to work on it recently as I'd like, which fills me with sadness because I'm in love with this WIP. Currently about 27k into the first draft, and need to make more writing time posthaste!

Briana Morgan said...

I'm working on my YA post-apocalyptic novel BLOOD AND WATER. It features a complicated sibling dynamic, strained friendships, a POC protagonist, some multiracial characters, psychological angst, and teenagers being teenagers.

Darth Lolita said...

I'm trying to finish the first draft of a giant science fiction story. I started NaNoWriMo with it, got 50k words and now, months later. I've passed 100k words and am nowhere near the end. Editing is gonna be hell.

I'm so jealous of your revision progress! After I'm done with the sci-fi, I'm going to start revisions on my urban fantasy book. I finished the first draft last year and didn't know how to revise it, but the long break has helped in analyzing what needs to change. I can't wait to jump back in--I'm gonna be rewriting and altering so much. It's going to be tough, but it's going to be great.

Alexandra Perc said...

I am currently writing the first book on a sci-fi/romance trilogy (that's the plan at least) which I upload on Wattpad. Also, I am trying to find time for editting my Urban Fantsy/romance novel which always makes me laugh when I re-read it! I have also sent some query letters and I am expecting an answer but so far everything is good! :)

Ava Jae said...

Wow! This sounds so cool, though (I love dark books). I hope you get more time to work on it quickly! :)

Ava Jae said...

Nice! Complicated relationships are always super fun. And it's always nice to see writers including some diversity in their works! :)

Ava Jae said...

Sounds like you've definitely got quite a bit on your plate! And I totally get your revision excitement—it is hard, but the end result is so, so rewarding. :) And distance definitely helps.

Ava Jae said...

That's so great! Sounds like you're really enjoying yourself, too, which is doubly excellent. Good luck with your querying and other writing stuff!

Briana Morgan said...

Yes! Diversity is important. :D

Jessica Gunn said...

Wow-- sounds like you're super busy! I can't wait to read BEYOND THE RED next year. It's probably at the top of my 2016 list!

I'm working on GYRE edit rounds, a NA contemporary WIP (also soon to be seeking betas), and 2 other fantasy WIPs. Got to love the fantasy stories. I hope you have a good week!

Axel Francis said...

First I would like to thank you, reading your blog motivated me to get a move on with my draft which has been (whisper) thirteen years in the making... Anyway, YA two friends in search of ones dad who gets taken by the Scourge, inter-dimensional pirates who enslave or destroy Earth in various dimensions in order to fulfil their quest for complete domination. (Hey who wouldn't?) All Sam wants is her Dad back and if they save existence along the way that has to be good right? Having fun (read as huge amounts of struggle) voicing characters who exist in multiple dims and can be involved in three or four way conversations with themselves. As I said, Fun. Thanks again for your blog and all the great advice.

Natalie said...

Right now I'm working on a modern Christmas Carol retelling. I'm in love with my main couple, so it's been a lot of fun to write! :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...