Why You Should Participate in WriteOnCon

@lattefarsan on Flickr
It’d be cool if I started off this post saying that WriteOnCon 2013 got me my agent, but it didn’t. Technically. And yet, if I hadn’t participated in the online conference last year, I might not have finally gotten The Call I’d been dreaming about for years. Maybe.

I know that sounds a little contradictory. Allow me to explain.

WriteOnCon2013 took place from August 13-14, 2013. For those who don’t know, WriteOnCon events are like online writers conferences. They include giveaways and excellent forums in which writers can critique each other and ninja agents and editors can make requests. It’s pretty fabulous, and this year it’ll be happening again on August 26-27, 2014.

Back to my point.

Last year when the conference started, I was in the middle of edits on my then-titled Sci-Fi SLAVE & SIRA. I wasn’t yet ready to query, but I’d edited enough that I felt comfortable sharing my first 250 and query-in-progress to the forums, where public critiques were going on.

And holy wow, you guys. The feedback I got? SO HELPFUL.

By the time WriteOnCon was over, I’d written over eight drafts of my query letter (I honestly lost count) based off the feedback. I changed things around in my first 250 and tweaked it until most of the problems were mostly resolved. And I critiqued more query letters and openings than I can count.

I’m not going to say when WriteOnCon was over, my query letter and first 250 were spotless. They weren’t, and I still revised my query so many times over after all was said and done. My opening has also had more than a couple minor tweaks since last year, too.

However! I can’t deny that my query and opening was absolutely better after the forums ripped them apart. And considering it was my first 250 that later piqued my now-agent’s interest (followed by the query shortly thereafter), I am super ridiculously grateful for my experience with WriteOnCon2013.

So if you’re querying, or will be querying soonish, I seriously recommend you make a point of checking out WriteOnCon2014. And even if you’re not querying, there’s so much to be learned from public critiques (even if you only critique and don’t share your work), that I still recommend you take some time to check it out.

It’s an absolutely wonderful opportunity for writers to meet other people (I also found a CP during WriteOnCon2013!), improve their skills, refine their work and maybe even get some requests (I didn’t, but I know of many writers who did). Don’t miss out!

Have you ever participated in a WriteOnCon event? Will you be participating this year? Why or why not? 

Twitter-sized bites: 
#Writers! Are you participating in this year's @WriteOnCon event? Here's why writer @Ava_Jae says you should. (Click to tweet)  
Debating whether or not to participate in @WriteOnCon 2014? Here's why you may want to consider it. (Click to tweet

8 comments:

Caitlin Sinead Jennings said...

I found a couple CPs during WriteOnCon too. ;-) Great conference! I ditto everything Ava says! :)

Ava Jae said...

WHAT A COINCIDENCE *wink wink* (Am I being too subtle?)

jezzell19 said...

I actively participated in the first couple, but have had to just peruse the articles, etc. the last couple because of schedule conflicts. There's always a ton of great information shared. Highly recommend it, too!

Leandra said...

I'm going to try and check it out this year, hopefully around my work schedule. I'd like my work a lot better if they paid me to stay home. ;)

Ava Jae said...

I was going to mention the articles (because I thought they were great, too), but apparently they're not doing the posts this year, so I decided not to mention it. Still, it's a fantastic experience if it fits your schedule!

Ava Jae said...

I hope you get the chance to check it out!

jezzell19 said...

That stinks! Was really a great, bookmarkable (? LOL) resource. Are they just switching to videos and live chats I guess?

Ava Jae said...

I have no idea! I know the forums are definitely going to be emphasized, but otherwise... *shrug* I guess we'll wait and see!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...