Discussion: What Relationships Would You Like to See More Of?

Photo credit: Kamila Gornia on Flickr
Relationships! I do love reading about them, and writing them is quite a joy as well. But as I’ve been reading, I’ve been thinking lately about some relationship-types that I’d like to see more of—not because they aren’t already well represented, but just because I haven’t come across them quite as much as I’d like. So.

Here is my mini-list of relationships I’d love to read more about:

  • Healthy relationships. Easy (Tammara Webber) is a perfect perfect perfect example of this. I never realized quite how much I love a love interest who respects consent and boundaries until I read this book—now I need more.

    Also, there can never be too much representation of healthy relationships, am I right? (I am). 

  • Bromances. I do love me my bromances, whether it’s Sherlock & Watson, Captain Kirk & Spock, Professor X & Magneto or James Potter & Sirius—bromances just don’t get old. And sadly, most of the favorite examples I can think of immediately are from movies and TV shows, because I really haven’t read enough of these. 

  • Relationships that aren’t forever (and it’s okay). I read one book somewhat recently that did this beautifully, but I won’t say which because I don’t want to spoil anything. Point is, I think it’s important to represent relationships that don’t last forever, and the characters move on and survive and are even happy, because not every relationship is happily ever after. And that’s totally normal. 

  • Relationships with antagonists. I don’t know about you guys, but I never tire of this, and I definitely don’t see it enough (recommendations are more than welcome). Antagonist relationships not only make for uber-interesting reading, but they also reveal a lot of depth in the antagonist, which complicates the whole plot and to me, makes it insanely amazing. (For examples of this, by the way, check out The Grisha series by Leigh Bardugo and Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge).

    NOTE: This does not mean abusive relationships. Relationships with antagonists don't have to be unhealthy. Unhealthy relationships are not preferable. Ever. 

Now what about you? What relationships would you like to read more about?

Twitter-sized bites: 
Bromances, respect, antagonist love & break-ups are relationship elements @Ava_Jae would like to see. How about you? (Click to tweet)  
What relationships would you like to see more of in books? Join the discussion at @Ava_Jae's blog. (Click to tweet)

6 comments:

Robin Red said...

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but: same-sex relationships around the same age.


There's this awful trope/fantasy about generational gaps between same-sex couples (particularly men), and it's shifted over into fiction and I hate it, especially in YA. It's young adult, so why can't there be healthy (or even unhealthy) relationships between teenagers? The first that comes to mind is Alec and Magnus Bane. A 17-year-old dating an 800-year-old Warlock is so left field and dangerous, and I commend Cassandra Clare for (SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER) showing how tho sage gap can affect them by tempting Alec with an un-immortality possibility for Magnus.


I've noticed in reality that this relationship is pretty common. Think Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black, the former being 19 and the latter is almost 40. I can't make any judgements on someone else's relationship or say whether or not it works, but can't we keep it "young adult" in the YA audience, and perhaps not encourage minors to date someone with eight centuries worth of life experience, lovers, and emotional baggage?


Okay, rant over.

Ava Jae said...

I'm skipping that spoiler because I'm still reading the TMI series, but it hadn't occurred to me that same-sex generational gap couples was a thing. Granted, Alec and Magnus are the only example I can really think of...but if you say you've seen it several times, I'll take your word for it. Very interesting.

Lauren said...

In addition to those I would love to see more sibling relationships (particularly brother sisters relationships) that 1) are good 2) don't fall apart and 3) are realistic.

Ava Jae said...

That's a good one! I've seen one in The Mortal Instruments series that fit that (Alec and Isabelle), but considering that's the only one I can think of at the moment that fits all three...I think there's definitely room for more. :)

Lauren said...

I haven't read the TMI because although I LOVE the way Cassandra Clare writes I read part of the Clockwork Series and there was a scene that made me feel dirty and uncomfortable (my personal opinion) so I didn't continue the series and probably won't be reading the TMI series either :'(.

Ava Jae said...

Ah, that's too bad. I haven't read the Clockwork Series, so... :/

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...