Why Use Past Tense?

Photo credit: teachandlearn on Flickr
Continuing from Friday’s post on the pros and cons of using present tense in your novels, we now move on to the much more widely used past tense.

Truth be told, you could write the same exact story nearly word-for-word in past or present tense. The difference lies in the way you’d like the novel to feel.

You see, while present tense’s effectiveness is largely due to its immediacy, past tense’s reflective nature is its great strength. The connotations of past tense are entirely different from present—in present tense the narrator is telling the reader the story as it happens, while in past tense the narrator is retelling the story events to the reader. In past tense, the narrator already knows how the story ends—in present, he does not.

Between the two, past tense is the more realistic tense. By this I mean it’s much easier to believe that the character is retelling their story than it is to believe that they’re announcing their story as it happens. We retell stories to friends and family all the time, and when we do it’s obviously in past tense. Reading novels in past tense, then, feels much more natural—which is a large advantage. While it’s not unheard of for a reader to dislike a book because it was written in present tense, very rarely will you find a reader who disliked a book simply because it was written in past tense.

Let’s take a look at one of my favorite lines from The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger (via allgreatquotes.com):

It was that kind of a crazy afternoon, terrifically cold, and no sun out or anything, and you felt like you were disappearing every time you crossed a road.

I love this line for many reasons, but I chose to use it here because it really punctuates on the strength of past tense. If you’ve ever read The Catcher in the Rye (which I hope you have), you know that Holden Caulfield (the protagonist) is very much a reflective character. Written in present tense, I don’t think his musings would be quite as strong.

But don’t take my word for it. Let’s try translating that line into present tense:

It’s that kind of crazy afternoon, terrifically cold, and no sun out or anything, and you feel like you’re disappearing every time you cross a road.

As if often the case with this type of thing, which you like better comes down to opinion and there isn’t really a right or wrong answer per say, but the difference between the two is pretty clear. The same images are present as well as the same voice and tone—but the feel is different. In the past tense line you’re remembering—it’s as if the memory of that incredibly cold day is your own. The present tense line is more immediate—it’s cold now versus it was cold then.

For certain novels like The Catcher in the Rye where the main character is indeed a reflective character, the choice between past and present tense is pretty clear—as the reflective tense, past tense is the way to go. For other novels however, the choice isn’t as clear and it’ll depend largely on whether you (the writer) prefer an immediate or reflective feel for your novel.

Past tense is a great option and, for some writers, easier to write, but that’s not to say it doesn’t have its own hurdles to overcome. You see, when compared to present tense, past tense tends to be more difficult to establish a connection with the reader. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying at all that it’s impossible to make a connection with the reader with past tense, but as illustrated by my lovely closeness chart from the last post (reposted below), you start off a step further away from the reader as far as closeness goes (in case you missed it, the explanation of closeness is here).


It’s easy to fall into the storytelling trap with past tense—where the narrator is merely telling the story without truly connecting to the reader. It’s a hurdle, and one that can (and must be) overcome, but it’s one that you should be aware of as you work on your past-tense story.

In the end, neither past nor present tense is greater than the other—they both have their strengths and weaknesses and hurdles to overcome. Once you decide how you’d like your novel to feel however, choosing one over the other becomes markedly easier.

What do you prefer to write in—past or present tense? Do you have a preference when it comes to reading?

21 comments:

Rik Davnall said...

I'm going to disagree with you on one thing, though I appreciate I might be unusual in this opinion; I don't think past tense feels intrinsically more natural. When I'm reading a past-tense novel, I always feel a slight nagging need to know *why* they're telling the story, and in what context (unless, like for example in 'The Name of the Wind' or 'The Duncton Chronicles', the book actually gives that context). Whereas with present tense, I feel like I'm getting a transcription of the character's experiences (as opposed to them just speaking them out as they go).

Ava Jae said...

You know, that's a really interesting point I hadn't thought of, so I'm glad you brought it up. I suppose in the end it comes down to our personal reading experience--some people are more likely to question why the character is narrating things going on now and other people (like you, I would assume) question why the character is telling the story in the first place. No reader reads the same way. :)

Daphne Gray-Grant said...

As a non-fiction writer I prefer using the present tense whenever I can. It feels more immediate and, well, friendlier. I allows each reader to feel as though he or she is part of the action. 

Krista said...

All my long fiction is written in past tense. And I prefer to read past tense. But I will read present tense books -I if done well.

Ava Jae said...

I'm a fan of present tense myself. The immediacy is something I really enjoy working with. 

Karen de Lange said...

I have a preference that I've noticed but not analysed too closely before - I tend to use past tense on longer stories (5000 words plus) but present tense on anything shorter. What's that about? Not sure...

Ava Jae said...

That's really interesting! I can't say length has ever dictated what tense I write in, but that's pretty interesting to think about. Do you have any idea why that is?

Single Mom said...

I hadn't thought of this either, but I think I prefer past tense for that more storybook feel.

Karen de Lange said...

The more I think about it, the more I don't have a clue! It's possible that (subconsciously) I prefer the immediacy of present tense for shorter stories, to get the ball rolling quickly, but there's more space in longer ones to let it breathe and past tense becomes more accessible. That's only a guess, though - if anyone has any other theories I'd be more than happy to hear them!

Daniel Swensen said...

I've never really considered writing in the present tense. Nothing against it, it's just never come to mind. Past tense all the way for me.

Also, I love the "happy reader" graph. I just wanted to say that.

Ava Jae said...

I initially only wrote in past tense, but once I started experimenting with present tense I found that I really enjoyed it. It doesn't work for everything, but when it does it can be pretty fun to play around with. 

And thank you! I was a little saddened that it ended up so small when I uploaded it, but I'm happy you were able to enjoy it nonetheless. :)

Vivien Weaver said...

I much prefer past tense for reading and writing as a general rule. Present tense lends a sense of immediacy, but as you mentioned, past tense lends a sense of reflectiveness. I tend to prefer the latter. As the commenter above mentioned, I think present tense can work in shorter works, but in longer works I think it's hard to keep up with. The same goes for second person. The short story "Orientation" is a great example of a short story that uses both of the above, but I can't see either method working for a novel length work. There might be an exception out there I haven't seen yet, granted.

In general I think it's important to question and consider what methods we use to tell a story. I'm certainly willing to try present tense to prove myself wrong. I'm just not sold on it.

Ava Jae said...

I agree that second person would be much m ore difficult to keep up with in longer works, but I've read a few novels written in present tense that worked really well. If you're interested, Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi, The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and Across the Universe by Beth Revis all use present tense and are (in my opinion) pretty fantastic reads. Of course, it depends on what kind of book you like. :) 

I won't deny that present tense tends to be a little more difficult to get into, especially if you haven't read present-tense novels before, but I think it certainly has some merits that make it a great tense to experiment with. 

Ellis said...

Past tense is much easier for me to read. I don't notice it and focus entirely on the story. A good writer draws me right in. 
Present tense is usually a little obvious, or self-conscious, and calls attention to itself. Certainly it can be done well, but it's rare for me to lose myself in it.

JFeijten said...

First of all: thanks a lot for writing blog entries on the past-present subject! It was very interesting to read them.  

What I wonder: if present tense gets you closer to the reader, why is it then that I've read much more novels in the past tense? Are most writers just playing easy? Or have I read the wrong novels?

I tend to find the present tense a bit weird, both writing and reading. Having said that I'm as easily drawn into a present tense novel as in a past tense novel, if it's a good one.

Also: if past tense means that you're telling a story that has already happened, can the storyteller then die or not? It would be weird, but probably possible. For example, I'm reading Game of Thrones by George RR Martin at the moment and it's written in the past tense through several POV's. I can't believe that none of the POV characters will die. That would be totally anti-Martin. 

Ava Jae said...

It's interesting, because I've found that there are a lot of people like you that have trouble reading present tense, but that very rarely (in fact I've never heard of a case) goes the other way. Have you encountered any stories written in present tense that you enjoyed? 

Ava Jae said...

I actually think you answered both of your questions, interestingly enough. 

For the first question, I'd point to what you said about present tense: "I tend to find the present tense a bit weird, both writing and reading." A lot of writers and readers prefer past tense--it often comes more naturally when being written and when being read. Present tense can call attention to itself and some readers simply despise it. 

I've found that more recently there's been a surge of novels written in present tense, especially in YA. If you'd like to give some a try, I recommend the ones I mentioned in my first tense post. :) 

As for your second question, you answered that one as well: "It would be weird, but probably possible." Would it technically make sense? No, not really, unless the protagonist is somehow telling his story from the afterlife. Has it happened in literature? Probably. 

JFeijten said...

Wow, I must be so smart. Answering my own questions without realising it xD
 
Well, I've planned to read The Hunger Games before the movie comes out. That's a good start with the present tense, isn't it?

Ava Jae said...

The Hunger Games is an excellent start with present tense. I adore that series and intend to re-read it before the movie releases in March. :D 

Deanna Burkett said...

Awesome post. Exactly what I was looking for.

Ava Jae said...

Glad to hear it! Thanks, Deanna!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...