My (Short) Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth

Wow. Where to begin?

You’re all going to think I’m a softie since I rated the last book I reviewed with five stars but…GUYS I just loved this book so much, I added it to my list of favorites.

So yes. I’m giving it five stars. And this is why.

To start, I was hooked from page one. No, there wasn’t any crazy action sequence, but there didn’t need to be. From the very first words, Roth crafts an engaging dystopian world that is just similar enough to be recognizable as once our own.

In Roth’s rendition, Chicago has been split into five factions based on certain traits its people consider most important: Candor (the honest), Erudite (the intelligent), Amity (the peaceful), Abnegation (the selfless) and Dauntless (the brave). In world were “faction before blood” is the rule, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose between her Abnegation family, or where she feels she truly belongs.

So she makes a choice, renames herself Tris and plunges into a fiercely competitive initiation well beyond anything she could have prepared for.

Divergent is exciting and chock full of action and memorable characters. I loved watching Tris grow, I drooled over a certain mysterious someone from the first line of his introduction and I was left itching for a sequel.

My only regret in picking up Divergent is that I read it too quickly. Definitely give it a try. You won’t regret it.

What have been your favorite reads so far this year?

9 comments:

Lyn Midnight said...

Aaah. This definitely makes me want to read it. Well done! Sheesh, as if I need YET ANOTHER fictional man to drool over instead of finding a real-life one. <_< Anyway.. thanks, Ava. You should make these reviews a regular thing. ;)

Gabe (Ava Jae) said...

You're so welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed my review and I'm entirely unapologetic about giving you a new fictional man to drool over. :)

I very well might make these reviews a regular thing. Next one up depends on when I get my hands on a new book.

As always, thanks for commenting!

Katja Rinne said...

Been on my to-be-read list quite a while. Only heard good things about it so I'm definately going to read it. But I have so many books piled that no idea when.

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful! I'll definitely add it to my "must-read" books' list.

Robin Red said...

I just got the book today. Can't wait to read!

Robin Red said...

I finally found time to read it. It was like I got to page 214 and suddenly I was at the end. I must read Insurgent now.

Ava Jae said...

Glad to hear you enjoyed it! Insurgent is a great sequel. :)

Robin Red said...

Quick question because I don't have the book on me: In the fear simulations, was the text italicized?

Ava Jae said...

I...actually don't have the book on me either. Sorry! >.<

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...