Book Review: IGNITE ME by Tahereh Mafi

Photo credit: Goodreads
I have so many things I want to say about this book, but unfortunately many of them are slightly spoilery, so this review is actually kind of tough to write.

First let’s start off with the Goodreads summary:
“Juliette now knows she may be the only one who can stop the Reestablishment. But to take them down, she'll need the help of the one person she never thought she could trust: Warner. And as they work together, Juliette will discover that everything she thought she knew-about Warner, her abilities, and even Adam-was wrong.”
So, that’s actually a pretty vague summary, but anyway. Ignite Me is the third and final book of the Shatter Me series. I already reviewed the previous two books Shatter Me and Unravel Me, if you’re interested.

Now for Ignite Me. I have to say, throughout the first two books, Juliette was not my favorite protagonist ever. I didn’t hate her by any means, but while I loved her voice (because Tahereh Mafi has the most gorgeous prose I’ve basically ever read), I didn’t particularly love all of Juliette’s decisions or her outlook.

That being said, Juliette’s development from first book to last is incredible. This series easily has some of the most nuanced, dramatic and yet believable character development you’ll find out there (so, for YA writers, this is a fabulous example of how to do character development right. Seriously).

What I also loved about the conclusion to this trilogy is that it didn’t end anything like I expected it to. I don’t want to spoil anything, so I’ll just refer back to the character development note, but that’s really what resonated with me so strongly.

The only gripe I have is that I felt climax came and went a tad bit too quickly, but honestly, I loved the book far too much to really care.

So that about covers it! If you like fast-paced YA with fabulous character development and a truly unique and beautiful voice, I highly recommend this series. I loved every book and look forward to more of Mafi’s work.

Have you read the SHATTER ME series? 

Twitter-sized bite: 
Writer @Ava_Jae gives IGNITE ME by Tahereh Mafi 5/5 stars. Have you read this book? (Click to tweet)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...