My Favorite List: What Do You Want to Write About?

Photo credit: Chapendra on Flickr
When I’m ready to think about starting a new manuscript, the very first thing I do, before I even begin brainstorming, is revisit my favorite list of all time.

This is the list that reminds me why I love to write. It helps me to remember all of the potential for great stories out there, and most of all, it inspires me with all of the things I still want to write about. Because it forces me to ask just that:

What do I want to write about?

This is a list that I add to and rewrite and change all the time. It’s a springboard of ideas, both vague and specific.

I love working on this list, because it makes me excited, both for stories I haven’t written, and for books that I have that cross off items from the list. But most of all, it serves as guaranteed inspiration to launch me into brainstorming.

The list can include anything, from a specific manuscript idea to overcoming a struggle you have with writing. It can be an image, a character name, a trait, an idea, a world, a writing characteristic, or a goal.

I’ve rewritten my list several times (in part because I keep losing the hard copy, but never mind that). To give you an idea, here are a few items on my most recent list:

  • Diverse characters
  • Rich, interesting worlds
  • Combining Sci-Fi & Fantasy
  • Flawed characters 
  • Sympathetic antagonists 
  • Ninjas

I also have some characters names and more plot-specific items, but hopefully you get the idea.

This is the list I go to whenever I’m low on inspiration, or am struggling while trying to brainstorm, or even just want a refresher. It’s my favorite list, and one that I intend to continue to use over the years.

Do you have a what I want to write about list? What are some items that are (or would be) on it? 

Twitter-sized bites: 
Do you keep a list of what you want to write about? Here's why one writer swears by it. (Click to tweet)  
What do YOU want to write about? Writer @Ava_Jae shares her favorite inspiration list. (Click to tweet

16 comments:

Laura Rueckert said...

YES! I have a huge list. I just wrote "ghost story" on it yesterday. I notice I like to write about people who don't trust their minds, their ways of thinking. I also kind of want to write horror - not gory, but scary. Oh, and I love that Ninjas are on your list. :-)

Shay Dee said...

I always ask myself what do I want to read! Then start writing it. I also have a list of character names. Character names are important to me. I need to get those right at least...

Emma Adams said...

I have a list of potential future projects, which I keep updating - it stops me panicking that I'll run out of ideas! Some are specific genres, others are themes I want to explore, and because I like all my fantasy worlds to be completely different, I have a separate list of ideas for strange creatures/worlds I want to explore. It's a great help when I'm stuck!

Ava Jae said...

Awesome! Mind games are always interesting to read (and write) about. Horror can also be really interesting, though I haven't tried writing it myself. :)


And yes. Ninjas. Heh heh.

Ava Jae said...

That's a great way of looking at it! I like that, Shay. :) And character names can be tricky. I definitely understand wanting to get them right.

Ava Jae said...

That sounds great! And much more detailed than my list. :D Lists like those definitely help whenever inspiration is lacking.

Jen Donohue said...

I've only done it once, but took the principle "If you're stuck, add ninjas" in a NaNoWriMo one year. They weren't actual Japanese ninjas, but they fit the bill to get me going again, certainly!


A list like that is a good idea, and I think I'll do it for this years' novel. I'd really like to end up with something I can work with, as I've expressed, not just a pile of word goo. I think something like that can be very helpful.

Ava Jae said...

Ha! I like that: if you're stuck, add ninjas. Reminds me of the writing rule I read to bring in a man with a gun any time you start to get bored (not a literal man with a gun every time, but anyway...).


And good luck with NaNoWriMo!

Lauren said...

I often use writing prompts to spur my creativity. If I need an new idea I go to either one of my many lists with characters, scenes, or plot ideas or I writing in a writing prompt. My friend got me a notebook for my birthday which she filled with writing prompts she came up with herself. Sometimes a completely unrelated prompt will give me a new idea for my story or an idea for another one.

RoweMatthew said...

I guess I have a list but like most items of immense power that could change the world it has been split into parts and scattered to the four corners of the earth. That is to say I have lots of separate notes in Evernote and on my computer.

They include: a comedy about a geeky boy who gets an angel for a girlfriend and starts a war with heaven, a zombie story from the zombies POV (before Warm Bodies came along! Idea stealer!), two superheroes the last survivors on an apocalyptic earth, my updated fairy tales, and of course, zombie monkey ninja parties

Ava Jae said...

A notebook full of writing prompts–what a cool gift! I have to say, I haven't really used very many writing prompts, but I can definitely see how they'd spur on some great ideas. :)

Ava Jae said...

Heh, I feel your pain about the split up list. I know I must have several lying around, but I keep losing them. I'll probably transfer it all over to Evernote eventually, but I kind of like hand writing the list for some reason...


Also, I love your ideas. So fun! And Warm Bodies is a great book. :)

Linda Adams said...

No lists for me. I just follow the direction of the story and see how it surprises me. But I've also had a lot of luck looking at random objects and launching with ideas off that. My current story came from two candles at ceremony and mashed up with an anthology theme. The candles aren't even in the story.

Ava Jae said...

Sounds like you're a pantser! Maybe. I could be misunderstanding what you mean by that second sentence...


At any rate, I think that's great. Not everyone needs lists, I just happen to like them. :)

Beth Terrence said...

I am a fan of the list as well, but also created a writing box. At some point, I take my list and write each idea on a separate slip of paper. Then when I am needing inspiration, I randomly pick an idea from the box and just see what emerges. Sometimes I go through it to update it or to see what ideas I can bring together for a piece, too. Thanks for your post. Looking forward to exploring more of your writing.

Ava Jae said...

A writing box! That sounds like such a fun idea. :) Thanks for stopping by and sharing, Beth!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...