Book Review: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green


Photo credit: Goodreads
So as happy as I've been with the format of my last two monthly mini book reviews, after reading The Fault in Our Stars by John Green in about a day, I knew I had to write it a separate book review.

Before I start ranting about how incredible the book was, here is the Goodreads summary:

Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 12, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now. Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault. Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.

First and foremost, I'd like to say that John Green didn't write just another cancer book. The Fault in Our Stars is so much more than that, because Hazel and Augustus (the two main characters) are more than just two kids with cancer.

The Fault in Our Stars was simply beautiful. I don't often use that word to describe a book, but after reading the final sentences, I couldn't think of a better word to describe it. John Green has written something special—a story that feels absolutely true, that strikes you with the beauty and honesty of the prose, that will make you laugh and cry and leave you feeling like you experienced Hazel's story yourself. Like her memories are really yours.

I can't recommend this book enough. It instantly became one of my favorites, and it's one I'm sure I'll re-read in the future.

The Fault in Our Stars more than deserves its long run on the New York Times bestseller list. John Green has written something truly spectacular. 

12 comments:

J. A. Bennett said...

That sounds amazing! I'm putting it on my list :)

Ava Jae said...

I loved it. It's a fantastic book! 

Natalie Wright said...

Totally agree with you and gave it my highest + rating on my blog too. I've never read anything quite like it. Beautiful is I think the perfect word to describe it.

Wscalfaro said...

I couldn't agree more! One of my students kept talking about this book, so I knew I had to read it right away. I loved it, and yes, it is beautiful. Thanks for your review.

Laurapauling said...

I'm putting off reading this book because I hear it's so sad but I'm sure I eventually will.

Ava Jae said...

It's a wonderful book and I absolutely loved it.

Ava Jae said...

Of course! I read a sample before it came out and loved the voice, then when I heard tons about it online, well...I knew I had to get my hands on a copy. :)

Thanks for commenting!

Ava Jae said...

It is sad...but it's also funny and sweet and definitely worth reading. Let me know what you think once you do eventually read it!

Julia Tomiak said...

For those of you worried about sad- it is, but so worth it. I read the first few pages & fell in love,despite my better judgment, just like the characters. Hazel & Augustus are witty & insightful - their story needs to be heard. A sample great line: "I fell in love like you fall asleep; slowly, then all at once."

emily_y53 said...

I ran out and bought it the day it came out and just did my first blog post on it. It's amazing how John Green intertwined humour with their tragic story line. Huge tear jerker of a book but can't help loving it. 

Ava Jae said...

It was a wonderful read. :)

Nadia Santos said...

I would heartily recommend this
novel to a wide audience far beyond the Young Adult crowd. Personally, I
became aware of Green through his YouTube efforts and eagerly awaited
this book. My only regret is that I read it at one sitting, but I
simply could not put it down. A masterful, coming-of-age story.
Wonderful and poignant. Laughter and tears. I will definitely be
passing this book on to the readers in my life.

Nadia
Best Reviews for Towing Companies in Round Rock

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...