Top Five Favorite Harry Potter Moments

It’s a bittersweet time for Harry Potter heads. With the final movie at long last released, it feels like a decade of magical moments has come to a close.

But! Do not despair, my friends! A group of totally awesome Harry Potter fans such as myself have put together a ridiculously awesome blog hop this week, all featuring Harry Potter posts! *GASP* What’s more? There are prizes! A scavenger hunt! And a Twitter hashtag! OHMYGOODNESS!

So! You should totally check it out because the prizes are super fantabulous and technically you’re already checking it out since this is the first blog post of this week’s Potter blog hop (ooo, tricked you a little there. I know, sneaky.)

Err, anyway, back to the blog post…

Although there may not be any new moments to look forward to, there are certainly moments that will live on forever on the page and on the screen. In honor of the closing of an era, I’ve amassed my top five. Originally it was ten but…the post was just too long.  

(*SPOILER ALERT* If you haven't read the books OR seen the last movie yet then...GO WATCH THE MOVIE AND/OR READ THOSE AWESOME BOOKS and come back. :D)

So! In chronological order! 
  1. "Yer a Wizard, Harry.” The moment it all began. How could I not include this in my list of favorite HP moments? Not only was our introduction of Hagrid epic, not only is Harry given his first glimmer of hope in over a decade, but by the end of the chapter, Dudley has a (well-deserved) pig tail. COME ON.
  2. Welcome to The Burrow. You’re probably wondering why the introduction of The Burrow is on here and our first look at Hogwarts isn’t. Don’t get me wrong—reading about Hogwarts for the first time was incredible. A magical castle hidden way where lucky little wizards and witches get to live ten months of the year? Epic.

    But The Burrow gave us a glimpse of normal wizarding life. We learn about the chores of the magical folk (like de-gnoming the garden), we watch Mrs. Weasley put together a dinner with flying pots and pans and magically boiling sauces and—best of all—the Weasleys are so accustomed to it they consider it absolutely normal, while Harry (and the rest of us) flourish in its specialness.

    I think it’s easy to see why The Burrow is one of Harry’s favorite places. I know it’s definitely one of mine.

  3. The map’s message to Snape. There’s really not much explaining on this one. This is one of my all-time favorite Harry Potter moments. I read Prisoner of Azkaban four times and I laughed every time I reached this part. It really speaks for itself:

    'Mr. Moony presents his compliments to Professor Snape, and begs him to keep his abnormally large nose out of other people’s business.'
    Snape froze. Harry stared, dumbstruck, at the message. But the map didn’t stop there. More writing was appearing beneath the first.
    'Mr. Prongs agrees with Mr. Moony, and would like to add that Professor Snape is an ugly git.'
    It would have been very funny if the situation hadn’t been so serious. And there was more ...
    'Mr. Padfoot would like to register his astonishment that an idiot like that ever became a Professor.'
    Harry closed his eyes in horror. When he’d opened them, the map had had its last word.
    'Mr. Wormtail bids Professor Snape good day, and advises him to wash his hair, the slimeball.'” (Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban—Chapter 14—Snape’s Grudge) 

  4. Fred & George vs. Umbridge. I think everyone remembers this moment, even if you only watched the movies. Fred and George have never been more epic.

    So!' said Umbridge triumphantly. Harry realised she was standing just a few stairs in front of him, once more looking down upon her prey. 'So--you think it amusing to turn a school corridor into a swamp, do you?'

    'Pretty amusing, yeah,' said Fred, looking up at her without the slightest sign of fear…
    …'You two,' she went on, gazing down at Fred and George, 'are about to learn what happens to wrongdoers in my school.'
    'You know what?' said Fred. 'I don't think we are.'
    He turned to his twin.

    'George,' said Fred, 'I think we've outgrown full-time education.'
    'Yeah, I've been feeling that way myself,' said George lightly.
    'Time to test our talents in the real world, d'you reckon?' asked Fred.
    'Definitely,' said George.

    And before Umbridge could say a word, they raised their wands and said together:

    'Accio brooms!'

    Harry heard a loud crash somewhere in the distance. Looking to his left, he ducked just in time. Fred and George's broomsticks, one still trailing the heavy chain and iron peg with which Umbridge had fastened them to the wall, were hurtling along the corridor towards their owners; they turned left, streaked down the stairs and stopped sharply in front of the twins, the chain clattering loudly on the flagged stone floor.

    'We won't be seeing you,' Fred told Professor Umbridge, swinging his leg over his broomstick.
    'Yeah, don't bother to keep in touch,' said George, mounting his own.

    Fred looked around at the assembled students, at the silent, watchful crowd.
    'If anyone fancies buying a Portable Swamp, as demonstrated upstairs, come to number ninety-three, Diagon Alley--Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes,' he said in a loud voice. 'Our new premises!'
    'Special discounts to Hogwart's students who swear they're going to use our products to get rid of this old bat,' added George, pointing at Professor Umbridge.’” (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix—Chapter 29—Career Advice).

  5. Dudley’s goodbye. This by far is one of my favorite moments in the entire series, so I was a little disappointed they didn’t include it in the movie. Nonetheless! After all the hell Dudley put Harry through over the years, I was astounded (and thoroughly amused) by this final goodbye in book seven.

    “Dudley raised a large, hamlike hand to point at Harry.
    ‘Why isn’t he coming with us?’
    Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia froze where they stood, staring at Dudley as though he had just expressed a desire to become a ballerina.
    ‘What?’ said Uncle Vernon loudly.
    ‘Why isn’t he coming too?’ asked Dudley.
    ‘Well, he—he doesn’t want to,’ said Uncle Vernon, turning to glare at Harry and adding, ‘You don’t want to, do you?’
    ‘Not in the slightest,’ said Harry.” (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows—Chapter 3—The Dursleys Departing)

    What makes this moment even better is that just a little while later, Dudley admits he doesn’t think Harry is a waste of space and *gasp* shakes his hand. Brilliant.  


  6. Neville kills Nagini. Ok, so I lied. There’s six. But I just couldn’t leave this out. What made this so epic was that Harry didn’t deliver the final blow to the Horcruxes—Neville did. And who deserves to be a hero more than Neville? Let me answer that for you: no one.

    From scared, chubby little first year to rebel leader and horcrux-killing hero, Neville wins MVP in my book. 


 So that’s it guys, my top six. What are your favorite Harry Potter moments?

16 comments:

S.P. Sipal said...

Ava, brilliant! You covered so many of my favorites as well, plus gave me the pleasure of reliving some wonderful memories.

I have to say, of those you listed, I think Fred and George standing up to Umbridge rises to the top for me. What I really liked about this scene, is right after the part you quoted, when Fred (sob!) tells Peeves to give Umbridge hell for them. It's like passing the baton from Trickster twins to Trickster poltergeist! :-)

Gabe (Ava Jae) said...

I wanted to include so much more of that part but it just got too long *sigh.* Absolutely agreed about the interaction with Peeves though--priceless. :)

Kiki Hamilton said...

I loved re-reading these! In just a few sentences I'm back in the scene - that's how real it all feels! *sniff* I will miss Hogwarts.

Laura Pauling said...

I did love those endings. I enjoyed Dudley's small character arc. And Fred and George? I wish they were my family. I love all the scenes that show more of Snape.

Jennie Bennett said...

Neville rules!! Wonderful post once again, and I must say I probably have a list like this of my own, but it would probably be titled something more like "the top five things that made me laugh hysterically in the harry potter books" Okay so that's a bad title, but you get the idea :)

Unknown said...

I think I've broken... your post almost made me cry. I can't stop bloody crying! :-(

Anyway.. I had forgotten about Dudley's goodbye, brilliant! And of course Neville killing Nagini was one of the best moments EVER.

Mine are the following:
1. Snape's Worst Nightmare: the glimpse we caught in the Marauders' lives. It actually inspired an amazing number of fan fiction stories.. including a few of my own.
2. Tonks telling Remus that she didn't care about the fact he was a werewolf. Because Remus is my favorite character. Period.
3. 'Try for some remorse.' in the final battle. Just... frigging immortal line. Ahem.

There are many more. Thanks for sharing yours Ava! This post is a great start to our jolly hop. ^-^

Gabe (Ava Jae) said...

Thanks everyone for commenting! I love that we can all share these truly excellent moments. I really want to write a long, gushy comment that further emphasizes how much I love all the moments I mentioned (and more!) but I'll spare all of you.

@Lyn

Get all the tears out! No one will judge you here. :)

I love Remus too! So sad...also why I was upset about the movie's lack of mentioning Teddy...oh well.

Snape's Worst Nightmare is definitely another great moment. As was pretty much every memory moment with Snape. Such a misunderstood character...until the end, that is.

I'm so glad to be part of this blog hop! ^_^

Lisa Gail Green said...

Is it horribly wrong that I teared up while reading those quotes? If it is then I don't want to be right!! I love your list. I'd have to add Mrs. Weasley's triumphant moment: "Not my daughter, you bitch!"

Gabe (Ava Jae) said...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with tearing up! I certainly wouldn't judge you. :)

That was a great moment and turned out perfectly in the movie. I think my favorite part of that isn't just the line, but that Molly Weasley was the end of Bellatrix. ^_^

Katie Dunn said...

You want to know why they didn't put the part where Dudley says goodbye in the movie part 1? They had it as a scene, but deleted it because... The actor that played Dudley lost a lot of weight and they had him in a very obvious fat suit. That was a moment I wanted to see in the movie too, but I don't want to see Dudley in a fat suit.

All in all, some awesome moments=) My favorite part in the movie part 2 was McGonagall; "I've always wanted to do that spell!"

Gabe (Ava Jae) said...

LOL! Oh you're so right, I love that part too. See! So many moments! The list goes on FOREVER.

Jami Gold said...

Honestly, I still feel a bit too raw to think about this. :) I guess I'll need to, though, as I still have to write my post for tomorrow. LOL!

I giggled like an idiot with the Map's message to Snape, so that would definitely be up on my list. Great post!

S.P. Sipal said...

Kathleen, that's so interesting about the missing Dudley moment. I had not heard the reason why. Great that he lost weight, but shame for the movie as that was such a moving part of the books.

I'm loving this post as I'm getting to remember so many great parts from the books (and movies!)

Gabe (Ava Jae) said...

You know, now that I think about it, Dudley HAD lost some weight the last time we saw him...huh.

Sonia Lal said...

I loved the Fred & George vs. Umbridge scene! So funny.

Stacy said...

Dudley's goodbye was very poignant, and that was the only thing I felt the last movie was lacking. I really wished they'd included that. But good for the actor for losing weight.

Loved the moment where Fred and George stood up to Umbridge, and I loved all the moments in the Burrow.

And I loved Harry and Hermoine's visit to Godric's Hollow, especially in the book. Rowling did a great job of showing their relationship and how close they were without being a couple.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...