5 Reasons You Should Be Blogging


Photo credit: Fireblend on Flickr
This is my 99th blog post.

I don't know exactly how many words I've written for this blog, but figuring that I average about 500 words a post, we can probably guestimate that around 50,000 words have gone into this blog.

50,000 words. That's longer than some of my WIPs.

That's a lot of time that's gone into blogging— and that doesn't even count the time I spent designing Writability and laying out the widgets and fixing buttons and promoting my posts, and it's certainly a lot of writing.

Which brings me to my point: blogging— that is, serious, consistent blogging— isn't easy. It's time-consuming work that takes discipline and creativity and a certain amount of organization to do it correctly.
Blogging is hard work. So why bother?

Looking back at the my first eight months in the blog world, at 32 weeks of writing post after post, I've come to realize that I don't regret a thing. In fact, starting a blog was probably one of the best decisions I made this year.

Why bother blogging?

  1. Blogging teaches you discipline. This mostly applies if you blog consistently. Blogging with a deadline or quota of a certain number of posts per week not only teaches you how to be a disciplined writer—but it teaches you that you have the ability to write under pressure.

  2. Blogging cultivates creativity. Coming up with new blog post ideas every week isn't easy. There are times when you'll be fresh out of ideas, but according to your blogging schedule you have a post due tomorrow anyway. That's when you have to start getting creative with your ideas. That's when you learn just how valuable creativity is after all.

  3. Blogging forces you to think. As a writer, blogging about writing has been a hugely valuable experience for me. I know conventional blogging wisdom out there tells writers not to write about writing, but for me, blogging about writing has been as much of a learning experience as it has a chance to share my thoughts.

  4. Because in order to write a blog post you really need to think about whatever topic you're covering.Writing about what makes a character beautiful, for example, forced me to think about my own characters. About their weaknesses and flaws and whether or not I would consider them beautiful.  In short, I've learned just as much from this (if not more) as I hope you have. 

  5. Blogging creates relationships. Some of my most loyal Twitter friends found me through this blog. Guest posting, commenting on each others' blogs and sharing post content all helps cultivate great online relationships. I've met some fantastic writers both through my blog and other blogs and I don't doubt that this trend will continue.

  6. Blogging is fun. Just because something is a lot of work, doesn't mean it can't be fun, right? Right. In all seriousness, I'll continue to blog because I love it. Because the experience is valuable and it keeps me writing and call me crazy, but I think it's fun to come up with posts three times a week and interact with you guys and write and write and write.

So those are the reasons I will continue to blog. Do you blog? What would you add to the list?

32 comments:

Dasia said...

I love blogging! I think it's very important to have an online presence, and blogging is a great way to work out your writer-muscles while creating content which (hopefully) makes people care about you as a person rather than just another username on the internet. That's very important if you want to build your personal brand as a writer.

I just gave my blog a makeover and I'm even more excited to post new stuff now :)

Susi said...

I agree with you. I'm glad I started blogging (only 3 short months ago) and I realized yesterday that I already have 50 posts. I love the interaction with other bloggers and it's a great way for me to get all this stuff out that is always taking up space in my head!!! :)

Stina Lindenblatt said...

You've nailed my reasons why I blog. Plus I've found an awesome CP and beta readers thanks to blogging. :D

Ava Jae said...

Having an online presence is becoming increasingly important for writers with the rise of social media. A blog is a fantastic way to not only find some awesome readers, but keep the writer inside you happy. :) 

I remember when I gave my blog a makeover--it definitely makes posting new material that much more exciting. 

Ava Jae said...

The interaction is definitely one of my favorite parts of blogging. It certainly makes all the time and effort of getting posts up worth it! 

Ava Jae said...

That's fantastic! Blogging can open up all sorts of doors if you let it. :D

Kendra_kilbourn said...

I'm actually discontinuing my blog. I don't really enjoy blogging that much and I've only gained 30 followers in 17 months despite my constant promotion and following of other blogs. Plus, I don't feel that I have anything new to say that hasn't been said before. I'm much happier as a blog reader than a blog writer! :)

Ava Jae said...

Certainly fair enough! If you've given it a shot and you don't enjoy it, then it's absolutely understandable if you want to stop. Why spend time on something you really don't enjoy? 

That being said, now you have a little extra time to work on your other writing things. :D

Krista said...

I blog. I would add to the list gaining knowledge. Through reading and composing blog posts I have learned a lot about blog amd writing.

Jennifer Bennett said...

I agree with all of the above! Blogging has opened doors that I never thought it would. Blogging is the da bomb!

Ava Jae said...

Absolutely agreed! Blogging has been a fantastic experience for me thus far. :)

Laurapauling said...

All of the above! I wouldn't trade my blogging for anything. And you can't ignore the built in, organic support system for when you publish.

Ava Jae said...

So true! Having a following before you publish is a fantastic asset. 

South paw said...

I blog and I agree with all your reasons too.

Ava Jae said...

Great, thanks! 

jackalopekid said...

Agree with all these points. Love that it creates relationships. Great post!

Joseph said...

I love blogging! And I agree with everything that you've said :D

I started blogging because I wanted to create something of myself and a year ago I had a mental breakdown....the melodrama of a teen I bet you think, and you're probably right, but I just wanted to be heard and the blog started out patchy with posts when I could be bothered...and that was over a year ago, but this year I've grown up so much! And to be honest I would put most of that down to social media and creating a platform for myself xD (p.s. I'm an over-sharer!)

Mondal124 said...

Thanks for the great article here. I have really enjoyed reading
this one. Oh and I hope to see more such amazing articles in the nearest
future too

British Food

Ava Jae said...

Thank you! The relationships really makes blogging worth it. :)

Susan Sipal said...

Yes, I would have to say ditto to this one.  The connection with other readers and writers, getting to know each other, like the fabulous Ava, is probably the best benefit, to me, of blogging!

Daniel Swensen said...

Another voice for the chorus of YAY BLOGGING.

Ava Jae said...

YAY! BLOGGING YAY! 

Grace Peterson said...

Great post! Every one of your points are dead on. Blogging is a very satisfying way to put a little bit of yourself out there into the world. And for those of us with stage fright, it's perfect. Congrats on 100!

Fernando Rego said...

Your writing is another good reason to keep blogging. Thanks Ava!

Ava Jae said...

Thanks, Grace! I absolutely agree with your bit about stage fright--blogging is a perfect start-up for those of us more anxious about the spotlight. :)

Ava Jae said...

Thanks so much, Fernando!

Brahm (alfred lives here) said...

I love love love this post.... a great reminder and refresher! And I too would add that reading blogs like yours is another good reason to be a member of the blogger community.

Ava Jae said...

:) Thank you, Brahm! So glad you enjoyed the post!

Mayor Gia said...

It's free therapy! Seriously...it helps you get all your crazy out

Ava Jae said...

Lol it most certainly can! :)

Luke Moy said...

I blog, but I'm a very lax blogger. Do you have any tips on how to be more diligent?
Also, how did you find your footing/ get as many people to notice and follow you as you did? Just curious, as a person new to the blogging world.

Ava Jae said...

Hi Luke! I've actually written a couple posts on those topics that you may find helpful.

On getting started as a blogger: why every reader matters.

On consistently blogging:
How to Think of Blog Post Ideas, How to Write Consistently and Why Write Blog Posts Consistently.



Hopefully that'll help? If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...