Welcome!

First and foremost, to my Twitter friends who helped promote the launching of this blog and made it happen by following: thank you.

To those of you who magically found my blog through means not Twitter (or begging)-related: So cool! *squeal* I mean, welcome.

And now to get to the reason you took the time to support my blog launch by being here: the blog. It’s here. It’s a little silly. But hopefully at least one of you out there will find it somewhat interesting, or even better, helpful. Inspiring would be great, but let’s not push our luck so soon.

I’ll start by saying I’m no expert. I’m not published (yet), I don’t have any awards and I don’t have an agent. I’m just someone who loves to write and has been doing so religiously since the age of thirteen. That being said, I like to think I’ve learned a few things along the way. A few. Don’t expect Santa’s magic bag of tricks here, I’m not that talented. Though I am on good terms with Santa.

I digress.

Writing is a finicky witch, and I don’t mean the wand and hat variety. Seriously. She’s that friend who always wants to hang out when life is overwhelming but is rarely there to see you when you want. She’s ADD too, and gets you really excited about her new toy Shiny Idea that’s absolutely amazing and then about three chapters in distracts you with a plate full of mouthwatering brownies called “New Story Idea.”  The metaphorical brownies may not gleam in the sunlight, but they sure as hell smell good and make it ridiculously hard to remember what was so awesome about Shiny, especially since you keep drooling on the keyboard.

Sometimes you just have to strap Writing down to a chair, shove some Ritalin down her throat and put the brownies away for another time.

Mmm, maybe this metaphor got a little out of hand. I’m not saying you should kidnap your best friends and slip drugs into their morning coffee (I mean honestly, what a waste of perfectly good coffee that would be. Just kidding.) What I AM saying is that writing isn’t the fun little hobby people often think it is. It’s hard work. It’s only fun about half the time and you spend the other half pulling your hair out of your head trying to fill a blank page. And it’s hard. Sticking to a story isn’t easy, especially when you have three or four other ideas trying to distract you the whole time.

In the end, though, it’s worth the stress because you can hang that shiny new manuscript up and smile. And those brownies are freaking delicious (and they better be, after all that hard work you put into them!)

But then you realize Writing escaped from the chair and you have to go chase her down again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great first post! Love the idea of cramming Ritalin down Writing's throat. Now I just need to get my hands on some...

Gabe (Ava Jae) said...

Thanks Kendra! Let me know if you need some rope while you're at it. ;)

IndianaRonaldo said...

The first blog post with 2 comments to 234 followers and more than a 100 posts. I myself started blogging six months back and I hope someday I will write my 100th post too. Your blog is hugely inspirational. Great work, Ava Jae. :)

Ava Jae said...

Thank you so much! It's been quite a journey. :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...